Friday, March 11, 2011

Currently ..

Currently.., as in for awhile since I'm lazy, I've been reading a book called The Mastery of Music: Ten Pathways to True Artistry by Barry Green. Just by the title you might assume it's about how to become a better musician, right? And you might be think it's one of those books where this one guy knows everything and this is the only way to do it.. Or you might not. But it is actually quite good.

This book has this certain quality about it that(at least for me) keeps me interested. And honestly not many books can keep me awake. It's worded in away as if you know the artist that are being interviewed. And I guess in a way you do because most of the characteristics of them you can find in any musician or person you know and you are most likely inspired by.

Mr. Green's book is amazingly helpful in showing you new ways to look at music and your memories of past performances. Not in a way that says, "remember that one note you hit wrong? well if you did hit it right you'd be a genius but since you didn't just look how horrible you are" but in a "see that moment? remember it. Learn from it and if you happen to play the piece again don't think about it because you can get it."

Kind of the dorky book for how awesome music is but very well written. He also wrote The Inner Games of Music which is also a very good book that gets you thinkin'.

Well that's all I really have to say. If you haven't read it you should and even though I haven't finished it yet I know I will look forward to seeing what else the book has to tell me. Anyway. That is all. :)

- The Clartist

No comments:

Post a Comment